Monday, May 26, 2008

Who are your ‘Idols’?

Have you been following the American Idol – the battle between the two Davids? David Archuleta vs Cook. Did the landslide results shock or disappoint you? I, like many others, was thrilled at the results having been rooting for David Cook, the rocker, all the way. I think no one else could beat him at originality – the way he gave new breath to songs like Micheal Jackson’s Billy Jean and Mariah Carey’s piece in the previous shows. While I think that the young and innocent looking David Archuleta sang like an angel with heartfelt feelings, he is already a prodigy and doesn’t need the title to prove his worth. The world knows them now; the rest is about following their heart. Well, that is my brief criteria of a commendable singing ‘Idol.’ But it does not end there. I was about to find my new ‘idols’ pretty soon.




The last 3 days and 2 nights, I was privileged to attend the Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA) of Malaysia’s 26th Biennial Delegates Conference here in Kuantan, Pahang. The theme being “Women Leading Change: Making it Happen”. It was extremely hectic as our Kuantan association was the host. Nevertheless, it ignited passion in our hearts. My friend, Kavitha, and I were emceeing for the Dinner, with YB Pn Hajah Fuziah bt Salleh, MP of Kuantan as our VIP, and YWCA delegates from across the country. We even had YB Datuk Maznah bt Mazlan, Deputy Minister of Natural Resources & National Council of Women’s Organizations (NCWO) Vice President as the Guest of Honour during the Closing Ceremony. Miss Juwita Suwito, singer cum General Secretary of YWCA Malaysia was among those present. Not forgetting Mrs. Grace Lim, President of YWCA Kuantan, who pulled me in 6 months ago. In each of them, I saw ‘idol’ qualities that I would very much like to develop. These are among the numerous very busy people who are leading their lives with a sense of purpose; willing to make sacrifices for a good cause – to serve others and bring change for the better. However, I have yet to mention the 2 women, amidst many others, who inspired me the most during the Conference.

Me , Juwita , the youth

One is Ms Helen Read, International Entrepreneur & Managing Director of Ms Read (M) Sdn Bhd, who delivered the keynote address. The delegates hung on to every word she spoke as this single mother inspired us with her success and testimony of how little acts of kindness impact other lives greatly. When a petite woman of such high status showed emotion through her tears, and displayed such humility in her speech, every one was moved. It’s so true, what she said about the more you give, you the more you receive. It’s beautiful how being sensitive to the still voice of the Holy Spirit at the right time and place can go a long way. I’d like to quote her words of Mother Theresa : There are no great things. Only little things done with great love. And also her own words: Do something. Do it now. Don’t wait till tomorrow.



The other is Datuk Rasammah Bhupalan, one of the elected YWCA National Committee Members, an 81 year old lady who has contributed much to society, and continues to do so, still going strong. It was an honor to be in her group of 6 for reflection, and hear her experiences in service. For instance, fighting for equal rights for women who marry foreign men in terms of citizenship of children etc since 1969 till today; increasing awareness of the Malaysian Constitution; inculcating the “Bangsa Malaysia” ideology, fund raising and many more. The works of this woman who says “I’m not going to be around forever. I’m 81” definitely puts many of us young ones to shame, considering the physical strength and energy we are blessed with. I found myself setting my gaze upon her a lot wherever I saw her, to which she always responded with a smile. She is one of those champions who leave footprints in the sand.


Besides being stirred by the two very powerful women, my acumen was enlarged as I intently listened to the excellent panelists of “Current Issues from a Faith-Based Perspective” who were: Dr. Sharon Bong, a feminist from YWCA KL, Rev. Hermen Shastri from the National Council of Churches and Encik Hariz bin Mohamed Ibrahim, a human rights activist. Their talk was truly an eye-opener as they discussed current issues (eg: freedom of choice and human rights) with such openness. I’d like to refer to Encik Hariz’s term of the ‘Pontious Pilate mentality’ that many tend to have. The idea of “this innocent man’s blood is not on my hands” – when the Pilate, the Roman governor, sentenced Jesus Christ, who was not guilty of any crime, to death on the Cross. In other words, it’s the mindset of being unconcerned regarding decisions made simply because it does not directly affect us. I admire the passion En. In Hariz has for a universal cause and the sacrifices that he has had to make along the way. Similarly, the other two speakers advocated awareness on what is happening to lend a helping hand to whoever is in need, whether or not we are directly affected. The main point is to always support freedom, justice and equality towards humanity. And this is in line with all the major faiths of the world. Once again, I identified ‘idol’ virtues in each of them.

In fact, I could go on and on, about intrinsic worth that I observed in little acts like Dr. Sharon (the panelist) humbly bringing Kavitha and I a glass of water before we started emceeing, or making it a point to give us encouragement at the end of the Dinner. But I shall stop typing on the keyboard here. Truly wonderful people that I met during my time here – my stars. All in the example of our Christ who always championed freedom, justice and equality in the spirit of love.

0 comments :