Friday, May 2, 2008

Vices of the Virtuous

Do you watch “Desperate Housewives”? I do, if I happen to be free when it’s playing on television. It’s a secular show with not much (if any) values to emulate, and definitely not recommended for the young minds, lest they be led astray. Nevertheless, I feel there is a lot to be learnt, if you can read between the lines of the engrossing script.

I admit I used to be rather naïve, and watching this show has helped see the world as it really is - the wickedness of the human heart, and the things people do. I feel better equipped to deal with people that in the past, I might have perceived as ‘truly nice,’ without doubting their ulterior motive. When I watch the show, I question the ethics and reasons behind the things people to in the name of love, respect and what nots. What makes something wrong or right?

For example: a mother staging pregnancy to cover up her daughter’s out of wedlock child, so that the newborn’s future would not be ruined; a mother lying to her daughter to save her from memories of past hurts; a man pursuing a woman for political and social gain, and being so advised by his own father who also helps to deceive the woman of worth; married people committing adultery because the flame of love died out in their marriage; and the story goes on and on.

I have once again been reminded of the ugly truth in life – examples of what not to follow, lessons on what to avoid, and the shrewdness of the Devil in deceiving humans. Somethings are clearly either right or wrong; be accountable for own actions, pay the consequences of mistakes and learn from it, do not lie, and ensure purity in conduct. Why do we often fool ourselves by blurring the lines?

Vices of the virtuous – some things that are wrong become acceptable, custom behavior simply because we manage to rationalize and justify them to make them look good. Let’s be wary of them.

0 comments :