Monday, May 12, 2008

A Time of Refreshing



The past few weeks have been extremely busy for me. I hardly had the time to catch a breather from work and all those outstation meetings. Family Day in Rompin; Management meeting in Bukit Merah Laketown Resort, Perak; Finance course in the Academy, Malacca and the latest, Vehicle and log book maintenance course in Kuala Tahan, Pahang. Going places is fun and exciting, but those meetings that go up to 2 am is definitely draining. It has been 5 weeks since I haven't had the chance to attend church or return home for a weekend.

The heart was running dry, until once again, God gracefully granted me a time of refreshing, in one of earth's oldest rain forest with a history that stretches back to 130 million years ago – Taman Negara, Pahang. When I gazed my eyes upon the greenery that had existed generations before me, I was humbled. I felt like a drop of water in the river, and grateful to know its Creator. I was awestruck by His handiwork. It was my first time to that destination, and I was totally excited.

Our classes were held during the mornings and the nights (it was a 3 days, 2 nights course, by the way). During the free period, my best friend at work/colleague (the one who drives me) offered the adventure of 4-wheel drive on a route into the ‘orang asli’ settlement. The ride was almost 2 hours. Green, bumpy and seemingly never ending was the path before we finally saw other people from a distance. When I looked on my left, I saw the ravine. And on my right, were trees so tall with bark so white and smooth, some with branches that shaped almost into a rhinoceros. The element of risk was there as people said, if you’re ‘lucky’, you might run into elephants or other wild animals. Nevertheless, I felt secure knowing that safe hands held the wheel, and that there was a greater guiding Force from above. And on our way back, where the path was smoother, he let me drive! The only animals we saw on the journey were a wild boar, squirrels, buffaloes, and many cows. Not to forget the wonderful chat that we shared.

During the night, after classes, this guy drove us out to the nearest town – Jerantut. The ride there was slightly more than an hour. The 2 other ladies and I were very much surprised that the town was so alive after midnight. There was a ’dangdut’ carnival going on, with a bazaar. I bought myself 2 attractive shawls that cost only RM 10 each, which kept me a little warmer on the cold ride back to the forest. (It was extremely cold - even with long sleeves, a borrowed jacket and the shawls, I still wasn’t warm enough). We had ‘roti canai’ at a ‘mamak’ stall that was actually open 24-7. Who would have thought!

I was very chatty that night in the front seat of the Pajero (I guess I hit it off with the company) and I vowed not to sleep on our way back. They caught the first half of my sentence and used it a lot throughout the journey – “Saya telah membuat keputusan untuk tidak tidur.” They say I’m ‘pelik’ (weird) in a good way, with the words I use when speaking and the complicated ideas I pose. The ride back was supposed to be to brainwash me about the ways of ‘kehidupan bahagia’ (a happy life) they said, but it turned out that they were left with questions marks and found it amusing that my so called ‘hobi pelik’ like watching fireflies or sharing a carrot with my pet rabbit was happiness as a child – ha ha:P.

The short time of adventure was to reach its climax on Sunday morning. It was our time out as a team, after breakfast. My routine Sunday around that time would usually be attending service at church. Thus, I was determined to keep my heart and mind focused on Him, and I felt His presence on that walk with nature. We crossed over to the other side of the river, by boat. Then, we had a little hike into the premier national park to take our shot on the Canopy Walk – the world’s longest which winds over 400 meters into the forest canopy, showing off the rich and diverse flora and fauna that it encompassed.I truly loved that! What an overwhelming feeling to be about 45 meters above the ground – to touch the leaves and branches of the lofty trees and admire the grandeur of His creation. The song that instantly struck a chord in my heart was the best loved hymn, “How Great Thou Art”. A pity my best friend was terrified of heights, so he did not join me this time.

The forest guide took us on a longer boat ride on our way back to the other side. It was absolutely revitalizing to feel the breeze against my face, and to be completely drenched with water as we defied the rapids. The 35 of were divided into 3 boats. The other 2 were what we playfully called ‘bot jahat’(bad boat) as they were equipped with dippers and bottles to splash water on us whenever they had the chance. Their boatman was equally mischievous in deliberately speeding upon nearing us – giving each one of us a free river-water shower! That was truly fun – would have never felt the same in a small group. My best friend sat behind me and the other lady, in the boat. Every now and then, he would ask with a bright smile, “Suka, puas hati?” (Happy, are you satisfied?) My answer would be, “Suka, tapi tak puas…” (Happy, but not satisfied…) I wished the ride would go on and on…I felt that the ride which lasted not more than 30 minutes was too brief to capture the beauty of the surroundings. Nevertheless, I was grateful to be blessed with such an opportunity.


Upon reaching the river bank, that marked the end of our little adventure in the forest. Throughout my time in Kuala Tahan, closer friendships have been fostered with a few. I got to know the faces of staff from other branches and I learnt a lot on the course. Most importantly, His living water quenched the thirst of a withering heart.

When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur.
And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!
Carl Gustaf (1859-1940)

0 comments :