Thursday, May 29, 2008

Brand vs Style

The other day, I was shocked to hear a 15 year old city lass say she spends RM 70 to RM 100 for make-up and hair do each time she attends a function or wedding. What extravagance! Even I, after working and earning, have never once done such a thing for a single function. Kids these days…(like I’m 70 years old) but it’s true, they are so different from my times; the products and brand names that they go for, the pricey clothes and accessories. Obviously, her parent’s can afford that kind of lifestyle, but what does it say about her as an individual? She’s rich – that’s one.

The general idea would be that the branded product/service is of better quality and could last longer. But more often than not, I believe these kids find their status and security by displaying the famous brands. Clothes, beauty products, handbags and what not – it surprises me that some clerks are willing to splurge on such things by making it a monthly commitment. If they have ample to spend, that’s fine. There’s nothing wrong in looking good, but what is the purpose when one could put the money to better use? That is pure vanity.

In believe that the way a woman dresses reflects on her as an individual. It is who she is that is attractive, not the brand that she carries. If she can put on a style that suits her and portrays her personality, she is a lot more attractive than those who help advertise brands for free at a personal expense. Brand verses style - style always wins.

This, I can tell based on my own experience. I remember buying some clothes and make up that were a lot more expensive than my usual ones for Christmas once; for the sake of last minute shopping. I didn’t feel exactly comfortable in it, but I went ahead. Well, I did get some compliments about the new outfit and look. But in that same week, I wore a long, soft looking skirt with no slit that cost RM 19.90, a fitting blouse that cost only RM 17.50, and low-heels that were RM 15, with very minimal make up – just compact powder, and colored lip balm which was only RM 7.90. I was extremely comfortable with myself and went around smiling. And you wouldn’t believe it. I received compliments literally everywhere I went. Even from strangers on the street when crossing the road, and Malay aunties in bookstores. And I was thinking, this is one of my cheapest outfits! Today is another day with the similar experience. I’m wearing another of those cheap outfits and all my staff have nice things to say. They are shocked to hear the price, and I’m not ashamed to admit it. Now, they are looking out for things like that.

The point I’m trying to make here is NOT that I am cheap (because the things I use are cheap) or that I’m a natural beauty. What I’m trying to say is that brand doesn’t make much of a difference in bringing out who you are. It’s the heart that makes a woman beautiful. It’s reflected in her eyes, and her sincere smile – and the choices she makes in determining her style – in showing her true self.

So to all girls out there, don’t become a victim of vanity. Know thyself. Be thyself.

0 comments :