Friday, November 30, 2007

Friendships Never End

I remember 6 months ago, when I completed my training in KL and had to head back to Kuantan for long-term work, my heart ached as I had to leave my friends with whom I had weathered rain and sunshine, literally. There was comfort, however, knowing that one of those good friends would be returning to Kuantan too. Today, my I feel exactly that same way again as he gets his long awaited transfer and leaves Kuantan for good.

This friend (some call him J) and I were in Kuantan, but different Ministries, prior to the training but we never spoke more than "Hi's" and "Byes" at church. During the training, we were grouped together, and that is how the threads of acquaintances among a bunch of us was weaved into beautiful colours. It's funny sometimes to think that since we returned from training and not attending the same chuch anymore, J became my best friend in Kuantan.

During the most streneous tasks in Police, Army and Fire training, J displayed his 'super-hero' qualities, being among the swiftest in running, most agile in climbing and strongest physically despite lean built. After almost every obstacle which most of us were half-dying, we would hear him say, "It's not challenging enough!"

There's one incident when J was my mountain climbing buddy (Army training) that I'll never forget in my whole life, I believe ; the time when J was hanging onto dear life on the cliff of a mountain in Johor Bahru, after posing for a picture. He leaned against a fragile branch and fell off the cliff, only holding a stump, nothing but his head and arm in view. In panic and fear, I was shouting out his name until few other guys came to his rescue, thank god. I can't imagine the consequences otherwise.

J has always helped me in times of need, esspecially in driving me to bus terminal, in a place where public transportation is scarce. I'll also miss those irregular meals we had together when we were free. And the nice feeling that there will be a familiar face during tea-breaks in the crowd of state meetings from various departments.When I was facing difficult tasks and people at work, J was there to support and advice. Frank in nature and firm in what he believes, his opinions are worth listening to, not necessarily meaning that I agree with everthing he says:P...He's someone you can count on...Little things like not cancelling our lunch appointment although he had eaten his fill at an open house, and coming out of the way to fetch me tells me of what a good friend I've found.

J was awaiting his transfer since the beginning and I just knew he would get it soon. When I prayed for his transfer, I knew that my prayers indirectly would leave me very much alone; no trustworthy colleague in the same service, in the same town, to discuss work matters that others might not understand. No game of chess or Chinese noodles on those long Friday noon breaks. Well, technology can seal the gaps of distance, but it'll never be the same...Turns out to be sooner than expected...but I'm really happy for him and his wife:)....Very Biblical; it's not good f0r man to be alone:P

By the way, he just got married to a very pretty lady (K)!:)

J, Congratulations once again my friend! Thank you for making time to let me meet up with your wonderful wife! All the best to you!

Anyway, I just want to take this opportunity to thank J for EVERYTHING!..And I just realized something: J did help me find another 'Best Friend' shortly before he left....He helped me buy my guitar, which has become my faithful companion every day...and as for the rest, God always provides:)

An old saying goes:

"A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter, he who finds one finds a treasure"

I thank God for ALL the ones He lead my way. The footprints will remain forever. Take care.


0 comments :