Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Spiderman 3

Two weeks ago, I was able to watch one of the most awaited movies on my 'must-watch list' - a movie that was a motivation to complete my outdoor modules - SPIDERMAN 3.

I think it was a simply remarkable movie, despite hearing many negative comments about it. I find the action part of it, not superbly impressive, but sufficiently thrilling. Being a person who believes that there is more to it than meets the eye, I just love the values and reality of human nature that was being portrayed by the characters.

I saw a Spiderman 3 advertisement that read "Hang on to the good in you or unleash the darkness within you." That is so true, not just for a superhero figure but for every average guy on the street. To give a superhero the choice to be good or evil, to make mistakes and realize his faults, to forgive himself as well as others, really brings out the human behind the mask. And it really made Spiderman a true hero in the end, when he chose to hang on to the good in him, and even attempt to save his 'enemy' from the trap of desire of power. I believe even heroes make mistakes, as they are not God. They also face the fight of good versus evil, and they have a right to be wrong. What matters in the end is the choices they make.

One thing in particular that really caught my attention in this movie was the introduction of the black spidey suit. To me, it represented sin and evil. Evil brings pleasure and power, and the more a person desires it, the more he is actually offering himself slave to it, contrary to what he thinks. There will come a point where it will become part of him, without he realizing it, and bring about his own destruction. Fortunately, Spiderman realized it early enough, although in his folly, he chose the black suit over his own several times, despite warnings about its nature. I think about times in my life, in little things, where small actions that brought about momentual pleasure would have actually lead to serious problems if I were not careful, or if God had not gently or harshly reminded me. To some, the black suit can be money, a person, women, material possesions, position of power or anything else. I could relate to Spiderman in several ways, and I am sure you can too, if you look at it this way.

I didn't like the part where Spiderman kissed the blonde without even thinking twice of its significance with his girlfriend - for goodness sake, it was 'their kiss'! Spiderman didn't even realize that it might have hurt his girlfriend's feelings. Besides that, I noticed that Spiderman wasn't sensitive enough to his girlfriend's feelings in trying to understand her on various occasions, and this kind of things can lead to relationship breakdowns in real life. However, his actions to risk his life fighting two against one to save his loved one, makes up for all his shortcomings, and proves the chastity of his love.

I like the ending where Spiderman's best friend choses to do good and help his friend in need, to the extent of laying down his own life. Truly, the value of love and friendship is shown in this movie.

Besides that, I like the angelic role of the grandmother who teaches love instead of revenge, who is always there to try to understand the problems that the young superhero faces. In our lives, I believe each of us have experienced moments when God sends the right person to say the right things to us just when we need it. It's just amazing.

All in all, i love the movie, the same way I loved Spiderman 1 & 2. Am looking forward to watch it again. To me, there are so many lessons to be learnt in it, and it is definately worth watching.

That's about it. Take care and God bless you.

0 comments :